Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Developing brains switch maths strategies

I found this article on line:  http://www.nature.com/news/developing-brains-switch-maths wtirren by Helen Shen August 17, 2014.

I have been working with a sixth grader who has to process numbers that add to ten.  I have been wondering what could cause this?   This articles states 'that changes in the hippocampus-a brain area associated with memory formation-could help explain how children eventually pick up efficient startegies for mathematics."

Usually adults use memory based stratgies for finding sums and children use counting methods.

What they found using MRI to scan children's brains is that the coordination of signals in the hippocampus with the rest of the brain are the most importnat.  "Children with stronger connections between the hippocampus and neocortex were more likely than others to answer problems with memorized math facts."

So with my student, I plan to work on numbers at the first grade level wuing the common core.  I hope I can do enough work that it can be permaently in her memory and her brain can process sums to 10 in a faster way.

let me know if you have any ideas on this?  I would love to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment