Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Help Students Learn Like the Cleveland Browns Football Team

Sometimes a teachers has students that believe they will be the next sports superstar.  And sometimes they don't like school or doing the work in school very much.  Now there is a new motivator tool available for teachers.

From the Wall Street Journal, August 12, 2014 "The Browns'Strategy: Write This Down" written by Kevin Clark explains to a teacher why students need to write down their notes.  If pros have to write down information to remember it, then it proves that students need to write things down to remember them.

"I would talk to teachers all the time and they would say, 'To write is to learn,' Pettine", 1st year Brown's coach.  "When you write stuff down, you have a much higher chance of it getting imprinted on your brain."

Two university professors discovered in a study " that, because the hand con't possibly keep up wight he speaker's words, the writer must rephrase what was said in his or her own words, which in turn processes the information at a deeper level."

I especially like the phrase "if you make it too easy for students to learn something, they won't remember it".  Wow, teachers need to make it touch.

Because I work with special education students I spend most of the year demonstrating how to take notes and summarize.  I lecture and turn to the smart board and make notes of the important things.  Later I can change that into a pdf and post it on my web page.

The next step is to lecture and then stop and have the students' summarize the important things.  I lead a guided discussion about what is important.  Again I put their words on the smart board.  Each students has a spiral notebook to take notes and I grade it.  Five points for each day's lecture.  Many students won't copy the board.  So I still need help in motivating students who don't want to learn.

One way that I help my students after they have had written their notes is to type them.  To review for a test, I want them to say the words they see from their notes and type them in the computer.  This helps for all learning styles.  They hear the words (Audio learner) they see the words (Visual  learner) and they touch the letters (Kinetic learner)

See, you can learn educational ideas from the Sports page.

No comments:

Post a Comment