Friday, August 1, 2014

Proverbs 12:1

Somewhere I found this translated as "To learn, you must want to be taught."  I just love this.  When I tutor students who don't really want to learn I feel like I am talking to a brick wall.

So I need suggestions on how to help someone want to learn.

So I looked up the verse in New International Version and found, "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid."  That does sound a little rough.

The title of chapter 12 in the Message translation is,  "If You Love Learning".  That is a nice title.  Verse one reads, "If you love learning, you love the discipline that goes with it--how shortsighted to refuse correction!"

When I am around pre-schoolers or kindergarten students, they all seem to want to learn.  They go to school excited and full of joy.

When I enter a middle school classroom, most of that is gone.  What happened?  I still enjoy everyday and try to learn something new every day.

Can we blame it on negative teachers?  Can we blame it on boring curriculum?  Do most students in private schools still have joy and excitement about learning?

I would love to hear opinions on this issue!  Please send feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment