Friday, December 21, 2018

What Doesn’t Work: Literacy Practice We Should Abandon

This is from an article from www.edutopica.org blog.  published 11/12/18

I am currently teaching Special Education at Ocean Beach Elementary.  I run a phonics group for both 3rd grade and 4th grade. The article opens with calendar time as a waste of time using 20 minutes of valuable time per day.

1.  Looking up vocabulary words with a dictionary.  This does not seem to increase vocabulary in the students.  I have adapted this and let a student look up one word while the other students are each looking up a word.  I comply this information in a google slide show which we practice through out the week.  The student runs their word by showing a picture, reading a sentence and then having students guess at the meaning at each step.  By the end of the week, most students scored an A on a test.

2. Giving students prizes for reading.  Making reading exciting and letting students pick the books for read aloud show more long term reading motivation.  I also pull vocabulary words from the books we are reading so I integrate both.

3.  Weekly spelling tests.  Yes students can do this but it does not carry over into their writing. I think a spelling test where they are editing an article containing their spelling words might be a better use of time. Also bonus points if they use their words in their writing.

4.  Unsupported Independent Reading. - many of my students were just looking at pictures and not really reading at all Partner reading where their is evaluation works better.

5..  Taking Away Recess as Punishment. — I hate this.   Many of my students have ADHD and. Not letting them release their energy creates more problems.  I had my students come in before school or stay after school to complete their class work..

We do need to get rid of things that are not working in the classroom and not do things that way because we always do things that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment